Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Within the last few years, I have had 2 or 3 at a time of

Petechiae. Normally on my thigh...
Within the last few years, I have had 2 or 3 at a time of Petechiae. Normally on my thigh or under arm. I notice them every so often. Dr ran Protime INR, cbc, and cardiolipin. All normal. Tonight for the first time I noticed a cluster of them on my upper thigh. What concerned me about these as I had more than normal. Instead of 2 or 3 I had a cluster of them. See pic. What do you think? Should I be concerned?
10/15/2017
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well if your counts are normal then it could be because of a problem with platelet function or blood vessel fragility. Sometimes purpura can appear due to inflammation of blood vessels called vasculitis. There is a long list of conditions that can cause vasculitis. The single best test to find out the cause in your case would be a biopsy of the rash.

Hope it answers your query.

wish you best of luck.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do bruise easily also. My platelet count was normal. In the pic do you think they looked serious.? Would Losartan or diltiazem cause it?

There have been studies on purpura linked with Losartan so you may like to see if this has been the cause. Not very common though

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was concerned because both my mom and grandma died of hemmoregenic stroke basically brain bleed. My mom had a bad reaction to coumadon. Would this indicate there coul be a future problem woth bleeding elsewhere. You also mentioned blood vessel fragility. If I had this could slight pressure on this area cause this? Such as pants rubbing up against?

No this doesnt make you vulnerable to brain bleed if its due to losartan however the cause needs to be diagnosed / investigated further in order to have a better idea about the risk of spontaneous bleed.

Rubbing against pants shouldnt be causing bleed though

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been on losartan for over 2 years now. What do you mean thay I can have spontaneous bleeding? How can i know if losartan is causing this?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I get these on my skin, I tend to get groups of 2-5. The last was the biggest grouping. I only get them in one area. If I had something serious occurring, would there be more of them in various places occurring more often?

Yes it would be more generalized rather then at the same place. I didnt say you will have spontaneous bleeding but you need further tesrs for finding out the root cause.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What blood tests would you recommend? My dr did my platelets and protime

Dear customer it doesnt sound anything too serious for now. We can get specific tests like platelets function assay but for that you need hematologist's opinion . The common type of such rash / purpura in women is called purpura simplex which is benign. My diagnosis about your problem is PURPURA SIMPLEX.

Hope it answers your query

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just want to make sure that I don't need other blood tests. Does the Protime -INR and CBC which had platelet counts and cardiolipin rule out completely a bleeding disorder that would cause this? Would these tests have been positive if I had something serious going on here? I have a history of Chronic Epstein Barr Virus and elevated C4A and gamma globulins. I know these types of things can cause strange occurrences in the body.

Dear ***** with coagulation profile and platelets being normal its unlikely for you to have a bleeding disorder. EBV can itself cause hyper-gammaglobulinemia and elevated C4 too so not a concern there

Hope it helped.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the protime INR the only test for coagulatuon disorders?

Other parameters including bleeding time / BT, aPTT, fibrinogen , D-Dimers but those are less commonly done

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor