Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I must have caught my small toenail on something and it's…

I must have caught my...
I must have caught my small toenail on something and it's lifted and bleeding. What should I expect and what should I do?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/13/2017
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Medicine specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Do you have a photo of the area ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Here you go
Do I tape it? Is my nail lost?

Thank you very much for the photo sent.

Thank you very much for the photo you have sent.

I can understand how you may be feeling at the moment.

I would suggest the following:

1. It definitely needs cleansing with anti septic lotion .

2. Once the area heals and is cleaned well , It may need to be checked for the level of breakage in the nail . Decision can be done whether to tape it up or remove it out.

3. You can take Oral paracetamol to reduce the pain , inflammation and swelling. You can take it twice a day for 5 days making sure you take something for acidity which can happen secondary to pain killer medications.

4. Put some cold compresses on the area with a clean towel. You can tape it for a week and then decide about whether removal would be required or not.

5. Do not use Dettol or Spirit on the area.

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

What is Dettol and Spirit?
What to use for acidity?

You can take over the counter Ranitidine 150 mg or you can take Gelusil tablets.

Dettol and Spirits are strong anti septics which you should avoid.

Okay thanks. I'm not in much pain but need to know how I can tell if I need it removed or just let it fall off. It'll grow back right?

Yes it will grow back for sure.

You don't need to get it remove as of now

Okay thank you

I have released the rating service application on your page .

Please do leave me a feedback for my opinion provided.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician