Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had chronic constipation since I was in the hospital…

Customer Question
I have had chronic...

I have had chronic constipation since I was in the hospital for a hip replacement, and afterwards ever since. Have never before had this problem. Also cannot stand anything tight around my stomach. This is all since Feb. 26 and it is now October 6.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

No vomiting or nausea, just tired!! This has been chronic since I returned home from hospital after hip replacement. My hips are now great and I am not in any pain at all, except for my stomach which cannot stand anything tight around it, and except for the fact that constipation is constant! I have never before had these problems.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I just climbed a mountain in Austria to celebrate my 76th birthday, am a professional singer who is still in good voice and still performing, and I take blood pressure meds. that's it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/6/2017
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you are having post surgical constipation. May I assume you were prescribed pain medication after surgery? If so, you may be suffering from opioid induced constipation. There is prescription medication your doctor can prescribe. OR, you can try to resolve this yourself. Purchase an over the counter stool softener such as Docusate Sodium 100 mg. Take one 3 times daily with an eight ounce glass of water. Drink an additional 5, eight ounce glasses of water daily. Increase your fiber intake both with diet and Soluble fiber such as Metamucil or similar product. If no bowel movement in 3 days, add a laxative such as Senna for 1 or 2 nights until you have a BM. Avoid foods such as white rice, bananas and apples as these are constipating. If you don't get regular after doing the above for 4 weeks, then a visit to your doctor or a Gastroenterologist is suggested.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Any additional thoughts, questions?

How are you feeling?