Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are the effects of cocaine, benzos and marijuana taken…

Customer Question
What are the effects...

What are the effects of cocaine, benzos and marijuana taken together

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

No, these were test results and I'm trying to find out the withdrawal symtoms of coming off of this mixture of drugs. My brother is an addict with liver disease and hepatic encephalopathy

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Prior hepatitis C for 30 years, but negative now due to new drug on the market and cured it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

this would be an unpredictable mix.

cocaine withdrawal will cause sleepiness and fatigue

benzos can cause life threatening seizures

marijuana will cause mood changes

withdrawing from these 3 will be ugly.

Withdrawal symptoms?
Was the answer above All there is? No other info?
How long do I wait for an answer?
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 10 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

You asked for a different expert

Can I first ask why you wanted to know about withdrawal symptoms--is that going on with your brother?

He left the hospital against medical advice. He is taking laculose for liver issues. He tested positive for cocaine, benzos and marijuana and we are afraid of withdrawal symtoms and would like to know what to do

Any idea how long it's been since he took the benzos?

And how is he doing right now?

2 days ago, and something yesterday too, but don't know what. They're all street drugs
Very irritable all day yesterday
difficulty concentrating

OK

The withdrawals from cocaine and marijuana aren't really anything too serious--maybe a little agitation and anxiety with the marijuana

But depending on how much and how long he was on the benzos the one major risk would be seizures and if they were to occur in would be at least three days after he went cold turkey

So for now he needs as much rest as possible and plenty of fluids

Of course, if he does seize he needs to be brought back to the ER

But unless that happens in the next, say, three days, he should basically be stable

Please let me know if you need any more information

thank you

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you