Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder on Wed. I've had…

Customer Question
I had a cortisone...

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder on Wed. I've had extreme thirst ever since. I can barely sleep because my mouth is so dry & I'm so thirsty. I was diagnosed with low blood sugar in the past, but never have had diabetes. Could this be a sign of a sugar issue? Should I go to a doctor to get my sugars tested?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have frozen shoulder, so that's why they gave me a cortisone shot

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may developed side effects of the cortison einjection, many patients can experience insomnia as well as dry mouth etc after getting an injection however the good news here is that these effects are transient in nature and you would have all of these effects fade within a week of the injection. Now regarding the blood glucose usually a low blood glucose level would not cause these symptoms however a high blood glucose level can certainly cause this, even though you do not have diabetes, the cortison einjection can cause the blood glucose levels to rise and that in turn can lead to the development of thirst and the dryness of the mouth. this again would fade within a few days at the most, in the meantime simply using an increased amount of water would be useful. for the insomnia you should start using OTC benadryl or even doxylamine at night which will help you sleep. Or you can use OTC melatonin or valerian root as well.

but as i said these effects are transient in nature.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

If the symptoms persist for another 24-48 hours then get your blood glucose checked, but for now cntinue to stay hydrated which is the MOST important thing here.

Do you have any more questions?