Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I cleaned my chandelier crystals in ammonia/water this

Customer Question
I cleaned my chandelier...

I cleaned my chandelier crystals in ammonia/water this afternoon. When the job was done, I rinsed the towel and washcloth I was using in clear water. Now I have put those items in the wash with other rags (no ammonia on them), but I put All detergent and bleach in the wash load. I forgot about not mixing bleach with ammonia until after the laundry tub had filled with water. What should I do to prevent a chlorine gas problem? I have already turned on two overhead vans in the house.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have not seen a doctor because I don't yet know if there is a problem.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I first need to know if what I have described will produce a dangerous amount of chlorine gas

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Ventillation is key.

And you shouldn't be in that room for the next few hours.

That's the best way to prevent the gases from causing any pulmonary irritation.

Yes, absolutely. That combination could cause a dangerous amount of chlorine gas and that's why the ventilation is important.