Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently had a hypoglycemic episode on Monday and was take…

Customer Question
I recently had a...

I recently had a hypoglycemic episode on Monday and was take to emergency and then admitted to the hospital. The doctor there told me to stop taking the Lantus and stick to the Novolog until I see my doctor this Friday. So, I'm trying to find a sliding scale for the Novolog fast acting insulin. The one I had before was in increments of 2 units but I can't remember the breakpoints for the scale.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

On Monday when this happened I was in the dentist chair. I became confused, sweated profusely and lost conscientiousness. Paramedics were called when I came to I was extremely nauscious and went to emergency,.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes. I have stage 4 pancreatic cancer undergoing a second round of Chemo.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

I am now in preparation for my doctor visit tomorrow.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the insulin sliding scale is adjusted according to each individual patient however the general sliding scale is as follows,

150-199 mg/dl glucose = 2 IU

200-249 mg/dl = 4 IU

250-299 mg/dl = 6 IU

300-349 mg/dl = 8 IU

350-399 mg/dl = 10 IU

>400 mg/dl = 12 IU

I will be attaching a picture which shows this sliding scale as well, the above scale is the same one as the one given in the table for NORMAL insulin sensitivity

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

I found many sliding scales online and they were all different. I recently visited with my family doctor regarding this very issue and I have an 8:00 am appointment today with him so I won't be asking anymore questions for now.Thank you.
You are welcome. Actually there are a number of sliding scales and as I said they would be adjusted according to your particular requirement as that is the nature of the sliding scale.