Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a fisher near the inside of my rectum. I do not have…

Customer Question
I have a fisher...

I have a fisher near the inside of my rectum. I do not have control of my bowels when doing something the least bit strenuous . What can I do about this? I also have a dropped bladder. Could that be part of my problem with my bowels?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have seen a doctor about my dropped bladder early on but have not seen a doctor about both problems.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Np

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome yto JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the loss of bowel control can be related to the dropped bladder, as the bladder can be compressing the back of the rectum from inside the body and that can lead to the loss of bladder control. It is also possible that along with cystocele or dropped blader there is weakness of the pelvic floor which is causing the fecal incontinence as well. This could be diagnosed with a pelvic examination and also with extensive imaging of the area. The anal fissure would also cause this problem to worsen as well.

If this problem persists and the cystocele is ruled out as a cause than anal sphincter issues would have to be looked into and for that purpose you would have to undergo several other tests including anal manometry. Other tests which can be done include,

• Balloon expulsion test. A small balloon is inserted into the rectum and filled with water. You are then asked to go to the toilet and expel the balloon. The length of time it takes to expel the balloon is recorded. A time of one minute or longer is usually considered a sign of a defecation disorder.
  • Anorectal ultrasonography. A narrow, wand-like instrument is inserted into the anus and rectum. The instrument produces video images that allow your doctor to evaluate the structure of your sphincter.
  • Proctography. X-ray video images are made while you have a bowel movement on a specially designed toilet. The test measures how much stool your rectum can hold and evaluates how well your body expels stool.

These tests would look into other causes such as,

• Muscle damage. Injury to the rings of muscle at the end of the rectum (anal sphincter) may make it difficult to hold stool back properly. This kind of damage can occur during childbirth, especially if you have an episiotomy or forceps are used during delivery.
  • Nerve damage. Injury to the nerves that sense stool in the rectum or those that control the anal sphincter can lead to fecal incontinence. The nerve damage can be caused by childbirth, constant straining during bowel movements, spinal cord injury or stroke.

I would suggest that you discuss these possibiolities with your doctor and have this evaluated.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.