Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I AM 70 YRS WITH COPD MY DR PRESCRIBED PREVNAR 13 FOLLOWED…

Customer Question
I AM 70 YRS...

I AM 70 YRS WITH COPD MY DR PRESCRIBED PREVNAR 13 FOLLOWED BY PNEUMOVAX 23 IN 2 MONTHS THE PHARMACY REFUSED TO OFFER THE SECONF VACCINE WHAT SAY YOU?? YHANKS

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

ADVAIR AND A RESCUE YES DR PRESCRIBED THE PNEUMONIA VACCINE

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
10/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually if you got prevnar 13 two months ago then there is no need for the pneumovax after just two months, both of them are vaccines against pneumococcus which is a bacteria which causes pneumonia in adults above the age of 65 years. Now the only difference between the two of them is that prevnar 13 protects against 13 strains of thebacteria whereas pneumococcus protects against 23 strains.

The only reason to use both of them would be if you are very high risk of getting pneumonia or if you are immunosuppressed. The presence of severe COPD or asthma could be an indication or if you have had pneumonia in the past then it could be an indication. But ideally you should have been given pneumovax rather than prevnar 13.

Using both of them is rarely indicated.

So i would discuss this with your doctor again, unless you are a VERY HIGH risk there is no need for the second pneumovax.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.