Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a total knee replacement 7 weeks ago and am still

Customer Question
I had a total...

I had a total knee replacement 7 weeks ago and am still having lots of pain on outside of knee and middle of knee. Is this normal?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Still swelling during day as I cannot keep let up due to job and it does go down over night. The only thing that makes it better is not to move it at all.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis as well which I am on meds for, HTN, 55 yrs old. (don't have a real high tolerance for pain). Cant do some of the physical therapy exercises due to the pain.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Although pain is never normal but it is always to be expected after total knee replacement surgeries. This should improve however within 12 weeks after the surgery after the bone has healed with the prosthesis.

The point to note here is that the pain should be at a decreasing trend and while it increases in the first 3 to 4 weeks it should thereafter gradually get better and by 10 to 12 weeks be completely gone.

If there is bruising and marked tenderness or a fluctuant swelling that does not go away then you should contact your surgeon and schedule a follow up early.

If you still think the pain is bothering you to the point that carrying out even the most trivial physical activity incites it then you should contact your surgeon and ask for a local cortisone shot to help with the swelling and pain.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor