Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need to sign in. I have answered all your questions and…

Customer Question
I need to sign...

I need to sign in

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have answered all your questions and was transferred to Just Answer and had to reset my password ***** now can't get back to the right page

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

I answered your question quite some time ago, but ill paste here again for you to see.

Hi,Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually vertigo can be due to a number of different causes, given that you have had ear problems in the past it is likely that you current attack of vertigo is also related to the inner ear. One of the commonest causes here is that you could have developed an infection of the inner ear which is known as labrynthitis. This can cause vertigo, ear pain and also dizziness along with possible hearing impairment. Usually the diagnosis is made with the help of a simple clinical examination. The treatment can be with the help of various ear drops including steroids to reduce the inflammation in the ear. The vertigo can be managed with anti vertigo medications like dramamine, meclizine, scopolamine, metoclopramide. Another cause for the vertigo could be build up of fluid inside the inner ear which can lead to this problem. this is known as menieres disease, this is a common cause of vertigo and would be diagnosed on a simple clinical examination. This would be treated with medications like acetazolamide.One more common cause of this could be related to microcalcifications inside the inner ear. This is known as BPPV or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, this causes vertigo on sudden change of posture or change in the position of the head. The diagnosis is with a simple test done in the office and it can be corrected with a simple maneuver which is also done in the doctor's office.If the inner ear is ruled out as a cause here then we would need to look into the brain as a cause. This can be due to lesions inside the brain particularly the region of the brain which controls balance, the cerebellum. A MRI of the brain would be necessary in this case.Now i would recommend that you start using OTC dramamine which can help in this situation.Do you have any more questions?Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below, http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.