Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

When inserting a subclavian port for chemo, is it possible…

Customer Question
When inserting a subclavian...

When inserting a subclavian port for chemo, is it possible to collapse a lung?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

My daughter was admitted to hospital for this condition and I am a retired nurse and I have never heard of this

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Malignancy in colon, temporary colostomy, 34 yrs old and never been sick

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Of course

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
10/4/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. Lung collapse, or pneumothorax, as a result of a subclavian port insertion is a possible complication of the procedure but not very common. For instance, one study of 1000 subclavian port insertions saw a total of 12 pneumothorax occurrences. In case of such an occurrence, providers doing the procedure are well trained to respond and address it quickly.Do you have any other questions or concerns I can help with?
If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer and conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a positive review. Thank you
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD