Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,38 years of experience

I just started taking 10 mg of Prozac. Today is my day 2. I

Customer Question

Hi, I just started taking 10 mg of Prozac. Today is my day 2. I just took two pills of Mucinex for my cold that I have. I notice that there are some possible interactions. What should I do? I took the prozac this morning at 8 am and it is now 5 pm when I took the mucinex.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Prozac 10 mg
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Richard Han replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. Prozac and Mucinex are perfectly safe to be taken together, no interactions to be concerned about.
Do you have any other questions or concerns I can help with?
If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer and conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a positive review. Thank you
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 5 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.If you are taking the Mucinex containing Phenylepherine along with the Prozac,there is a serious interaction between the two drugs.There is elevation in the serotinin levels which may be dangerous.It would be best to discontinue the mucinex.Use of simple steam inhalations and Tylenol should be enough to tide over the 4 days remaining of the common cold.If it persists,discuss this with your PCP who may prescribe an antihistamije like Allegra which will help.