Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was on brand name Lexapro from 2002-2014. From 2014-2017 I…

Customer Question
I was on brand...

I was on brand name Lexapro from 2002-2014. From 2014-2017 I was switched to generic Lexapro, Escitalopram. Due to a pharmacy mix up I given brand name Lexapro again which I have been taking for 2 days now. Since being back on brand name Lexapro I am experiencing dizziness and increased anxiety. The dosage has not changed. Is this normal when switching from the generic version of a medicine to the name brand? If so, generally how long do the symptoms last?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

2 days, since starting back on the name brand Lexapro. The dizziness is significantly worse when walking. It eases when sitting.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 10 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Did you have this problem ever when you were on the brand name before?

No sir, not to my knowledge. I was 15 when I started the medicine 15 years ago so I can't quite recall. I also did not have this issue on the generic.

OK

Actually I have seen this before when a patient went back on the brand name after being on the generic for a while

It's likely more of a filler in the brand name problem but in the cases of my patients those symptoms resolved within a week's time after they restarted the brand name

So really nothing to worry about here--just hang in there for a few more days

Please let me know if you need any more information