Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is a ck test for muscle pain? and what kind of Dr gives…

What is a ck...

What is a ck test for muscle pain ? and what kind of Dr gives the ck test ?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

A few months now. it really is noticeable when I try to go to sleep. It keeps me up all night then when I go to work its not as bad

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

None

10/4/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the CK or CPK test is a blood test which can be ordered by ANY doctor including your PCP. It stands for Creatine Kinase which is a muscle enzyme. Usually it is not done alone but rather the whole set of muscle enzymes is ordered when we are checking if the muscles are inflammed or have any diseases. This would include the CK, LDH and aldolase levels. This would be done by drawing a simple blood sample and then sending it in to the lab.

At the same time once this test comes back and the pain is still persistent then we can order a NCS/EMG test which is done a neurologist, it checks the electrical activity in the muscles and checks their power and also checks to see if they are inflamed or not.

But regarding your original question, the CK or creatine kinase test is a blood test to check for muscle inflammation and it can be ordered by ANY doctor including your PCP. If you want a specialist to see you for your muscle pain which is diffuse in nature then a rheumatologist can be helpful and if there is accompanying weakness along with the pain then a neurologist would be helpful.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

oh thanks,
so do you think that would be the first step to problem shooting muscle pain. My muscles are so active at night while I am laying down, that I cant go to sleep.

Shooting muscular pain should be evaluated for nerve issues, muscle pain is more dull and achy in character, shooting or stabbing pain can be an indication of nerve issues and i think in that situation you should get a NCS/EMG test done by visiting a neurologist.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.