Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Very suddenly last evening I developed extreme cramps across…

Customer Question
Very suddenly last evening...

Very suddenly last evening I developed extreme cramps across my my midsection. After several trips to the bathroom, my "poop" became watery and has remained that way through the night and into the morning. I also had cold sweats and shakes which have gone away, but I still have some cramps.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

I don't appear to have a fever. Other than high blood pressure and high (but managed with medicine) cholesterol, I don't have any other conditions I am aware of. I do suffer from Spinal Stenosis.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a heart murmur, but really nothing else that cannot usually be controlled with a Tylenol.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
10/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from your description it sounds like that you may have developed gastroenteritis. This is an infection of the intestines which can be caused by viruses or bacteria. In case of bacterial infections, you would have blood or mucus in the stools, fever and worsening abdominal pain. Whereas the viral infections usually would cause diarrhea and abdominal cramps without any blood or mucus in the stools. Now the treatment for both is essentially the same with the difference being that with a bacterial infection you would need antibiotics to get better. In your case it sounds like that you could have developed a viral infection which by its nature, is self limiting. This means that the infection would start to settle down by the 5th to 7th days. In the meantime you need to stay hydrated and replenish your electrolyte levels, which is the MOST essential thing whenever you have diarrhea of this sort.

You should start drinking as much plain water as you can along with electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade or pedialyte. At the same time you should stick with a soft diet, ideally the BRATY diet which consists of bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and yogurt which can be easily digested by the inflamed digestive system. You can use a single dose of imodium if the diarrhea occurs again but avoid using more than a single dose.

For the cramps you can use OTC anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 400-600 mg thrice daily.

However as i said this would settle down on its own with the above supportive care BUT if you develop SEVERE abdominal pain, abdominal tenderness, blood or mucus in the stools or fever then get evaluated for a bacterial infection.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor