Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a sharp pain and burning sensation in the inner part…

Customer Question
I have a sharp...

I have a sharp pain and burning sensation in the inner part of my wrist.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

For a couple days. I have had issues in the past with aching but never burning. It is very uncomfortable

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had reconstructive surgery on my dequervaine tendon in the same hand but this is the opposite side of my wrist

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like that you could have developed compression of one of the nerves which supply this region of the hand, namely the ulnar nerve. Burning and sharp pains in this area are indicative of compression of the ulnar nerve which could be at the level of the wrist or even below the wrist. SEVERE ulnar compression can lead to even paralysis in the little and ring finger and inability to move these fingers. Now this can be diagnosed on a clinical examination as well as NCS/EMG and can be treated with steroid injections, surgery to relieve the compression and even medications like lyrica or neurontin.

Another cause can be damage to the nerves which can be due to a condition known as neuropathy. This can occur because of various causes such as viral infections, bacterial infections, vitamin b12 deficiency, folate deficiency, thyroid disorders, autoimmune disorders, diabetes among many many others. this again would be diagnosed on a NCS/EMG test and then can be treated with various medications and treatment of the underlying cause.

Now i would suggest that you do get evaluated for the above conditions but at the same time start the following supplements to promote nerve health,

• Alpha lipoic acid
  • Acetyl L carnitine
  • Omega 3 fatty acids
  • Vitamin B12 supplements
  • Folate supplements

Also you can use anti inflammatory agents like ibuprofen at a dose of 400 mg thrice daily.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I have already been tested for diabetes and thyroid issues all came back negative. Could this be cubital tunnel or carpal tunnel?

When i mentioned the nerve compression specifically ulnar compression that is related to the carpal tunnel or cubital tunnel syndromes BUT NOT THEM specifically, because carpal tunnel would cause pain and burning in the distribution of the median nerve and not in this location, you can still have a variant or carpal tunnel in which the ULNAR nerve is being compressed. this is why i mentioned the nerve compression as the first possibility. Carpal tunnel is basically nerve compression occurring at the wrist, but it involves the median nerve mostly. Cubital tunnel is less likely.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.