Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Upperchest pain, right in the center - nosymptoms in arms.

Customer Question
Upperchest pain, right in...

Upperchest pain, right in the center - nosymptoms in arms

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Good, except some stress

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No really - this is teh first time i have it - i am 71 years old

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing, the first thing to consider is heart related pain. Central chest pain ALWAYS has to be considered as being related to the heart until proven otherwise. Even if you dont have pain in the arms or shortness of breath or even sweating, it is important to get a EKG done so that heart disease can be ruled out as a cause. Many a time heart disease can cause symptoms which are NOT typical and you may just feel indigestion or even just mild pressure in the chest. This is why a EKG is important here.

Now once heart disease is ruled out as a cause then we can consider other possibilities which can include,

Costochondritis - this is inflammation of the cartilages of the ribs which can cause pain on deep breathing and coughing and can be treated with anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen.

Gastritis/Oesophagitis - this is inflammation of the stomach or the oesophagus which can cause this sort of pain in the chest as well as burning in some cases. In situations like these the first step is to use OTC prilosec at a dose of 10 mg twice daily.

Oesophageal spasms - this causes sharp stabbing pain due to contraction of the muscles and again prilosec along with calcium channel blockers would be useful.

But i would still suggest that you get an EKG done as that is something which should NOT be missed.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/