Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My period is late by 4 days and I have lower abdominal pain…

Customer Question
Hi, my period is...

Hi, my period is late by 4 days and I have lower abdominal pain for the last four days. I am off the pill 6 months and this is the first time my period is late. A pregnancy test was negative. I think I may have PCOS going by the symptoms. Can you please shed some light?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

I have been keeping track of my period. Cycles range from 30 to 33 days. I have oily skin, spots and dark hair on my abdomen & upper lip

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/4/2017
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

As such their can be many causes of missed period like PCOD,weight gain,weight loss,emotional imbalance,thyroid problems,increased physical exercise.

Ideally you should consult your doctor for a ultrasound of whole abdomen.

Usually doctors are able to diagnose PCOD with trans abdominal ultrasound.

In few cases Trans vaginal Ultrasound is required to diagnose PCOD.

Also blood test like

LH

FSH

PRL

TSH,T3,T4

Total Testosterone

The ratio of LH (Luteinizing hormone) to FSH (Follicle-stimulating hormone), when measured in international units, is elevated in women with PCOS. Common cut-offs to designate abnormally high LH/FSH ratios are 2:1 or 3:1 as tested on Day 3 of the menstrual cycle.

Sign and symptoms of PCOD include

Irregular periods.

Excess facial and body hair (hirsutism), and occasionally severe acne

PCOS signs and symptoms are typically more severe if you're obese.

Also repeat Pregnancy test with morning Urine Sample.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Thank you. Is it possible for PCOS to cause issues 6 months after coming off the pill?

A combined hormonal contraceptive one that contains estrogen and progestin is the first-line therapy for women with irregular periods with PCOD.

Yes it is possible for PCOD to cause irregular periods after 6 months after coming off the pill.