Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I HAVE TO LIFT MY LEG TO GET INTO MY CAR>>>>>NOW IT HURTS…

Customer Question
I HAVE TO LIFT...

I HAVE TO LIFT MY LEG TO GET INTO MY CAR>>>>>NOW IT HURTS (ACHES) WHEN I LIFT MY LEFT LEG>>>>WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP THE ACHE? AND WILL THIS EVER GO AWAY? I"M ^IN GOOD HEALTH! THIS IS KILLING ME

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?

LIFTING MY LEG LIKE A MAJORETTE! NO REDNESS OR SWELLING

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you could have developed one of a couple of conditions. The first one is that you could be experiencing a problem with the nerves in the lower back.these could be compressed by a problem in the lower back such as a slipped disc or even inflammation in the spinal bones. This can be diagnosed with the help of a simple MRI of the lower back and also with the help of a NCS/EMG test. The treatment can be with steroid injections in the back and also with specialized medications like lyrica or neurontin. Physiotherapy can also be very helpful in this situation.

Another cause can be related to the blood supply in the leg, peripheral arterial disease can cause this sort of pain and it would be dioagnosed with the help of simple doppler ultrasound and then would be treated with medications like clopidogrel.

Lastly, this can also be a recurrent muscle spasm which can be becauseof the nerves or even due to electrolyte imbalances or even due to thyroid disorders. Blood tests would be helpful in diagnosing if these are the causes.

Now i would recommend that you try the following,

• Increase intake of plain water
  • Eliminate caffeine and alcohol from your diet
  • Use electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade
  • Use OTC anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily for atleast 7 days
  • Apply OTC capsiacin gel on the area which hurts the most
  • Consider using muscle relaxants like flexeril or tinazidine

But do ask your doctor to look into the other possibilities that i have mentioned.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.