Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

For several years now I have been getting this very aweful…

Customer Question
Hi, for several years now...
Hi, for several years now I have been getting this very aweful smell/taste in my nose and mouth. Kind of a musty/metallic smell. It usually happens when I sniff too hard ( and clear out the one nostril) It is only one nostril and it seems when it is clear.. I get this and it will go away but sometimes not for days. When that nostril is a little stuffed up I wont have the problem. But as soon as it is clear or I cough. it happens.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The most likely cause of this is;

Nasal polyps or

Sinusitis.

You may get an MRI and endoscopic exam of sinuses to confirm the diagnosis.

This may need a course of antibiotic or minor surgery for the eradication of the problem and prevent recurrence.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Is is possible to have sinusitis for 10 or more years?

Chronic sinusitis and nasal polyps can be for years.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor