Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am experiencing some medical issues which may be a result…

Customer Question
I am experiencing some...

I am experiencing some medical issues which may be a result of taking Metformin. (6months now) I am due to leave on a 10 day holiday in the morning. Would it be safe to stop taking the medication for a couple or more days until I can reach a doctor at my clinic?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take Synthroid 50 mcg and Sandoz-Rosuvastatin 5mg along with the Metformin twice a day. My blood sugar is stable at 5.8.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I cant think of anything at the moment. I have been losing weight.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

What issues are you having that may be from the metformin?

What was your blood sugar running before you started on the metformin?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

When there are significant side effects from metformin, there is usually no problem with not taking the metformin for several days until you can be seen by your doctor. To be able to substantively discuss stopping the metformin, it would be better to know what issues you are having and the level of blood sugar before starting the metformin, which is why I asked for that information. But without that information, the best that can be said is that in the vast majority of cases, the benefit of stopping the drug for several days until you can see your doctor would outweigh the risks.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.