Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Why do I have a constant chemical type aroma that I am

Customer Question
Why do I have...

Why do I have a constant chemical type aroma that I am breathing in no matter where I am?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Not on any meds...I am 69... and I haven't seen a Dr

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take no meds daily.... don't know if I am allergic to any. I am bothered by fragrances

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Gall bladder was removed years ago and I have arthritis... but I don't take anything for it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

This seems to be Phantosmia, which means perception of smell without an odor present.

Brain imaging using positron emission tomography (PET) scans of individuals with phantosmia has revealed increased activity in the frontal, insular and temporal regions, of brain.

Tests to evaluate for allergy, diabetes mellitus, thyroid functions, renal and liver function, endocrine function, and nutritional deficiencies may be required to ascertain the cause. An ENT specialist would be the doctor to evaluate it. He would give a test for the smell for the differentiation. If the physician's evaluation, deem necessary, an MRI of the brain and CT scan of the sinuses may be needed in some cases. Olfactory epithelium biopsy is used occasionally to ascertain the cause.

Treatment would be dependent on the cause. Anti allergic medications or antibiotics may be needed for the sinus and polyp issues of the nose. Nutritional deficits will need supplemennts of zinc, vitamin A, or thiamine.

Other remedies are;

a) vitamins,

b) topical steroids,

c) tricyclic antidepressants (for their effect on CSF catecholamines).

d) Zinc sulphate in some cases had helped and can be tried.

e) Gabapentin which has proven beneficial in significant number of patients.

f) One of the easiest things to try is topical nasal saline drops.

g) Alternatively, the daily use of Oxymetazoline.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.