Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a flexible tongue and can reach all the way back,

Customer Question
Hi Pearl! I have...

Hi Pearl! I have a flexible tongue and can reach all the way back, past my uvula. Not sure if this is normal, but I can feel a "crater" on both sides of the uvula, above the tonsils. Any idea what this is called?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Swollen throat for the last few months

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Nope, no recent injuries. Maybe four months.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/4/2017
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.The area on the sides of the uvula is the Palatoglossal arch which joins in the middle at the uvula.There is a empty area between this and the next structure behind this which is called the Palatopharyngeal arch,deep in the recess between the space at the side would be the tonsil,a small structure containing lymhoid tissue.The area between the two arches is the tonsillar fossa.There is a lot of lymphoid tissue around the tonsils,swelling of these tissues and the tonsil will occur in any chronic inflammation due to infection or allergy in the area.You need to be examined by your PCP/Doctor who can examine you and your throat and decide the cause of the swelling in the throat.Yopu nmay nneed therapy for chronic pharyngitis or allergic pharyngitis depending on the cause found.