Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife every once in a while can get a tightening in her…

Customer Question
My wife every...

My wife every once in a while can get a tightening in her your chest. It can happen at nite when sleeping. She will ask me for water with a lot of ice. She takes it and the problem is gone almost immediately. No other symptoms.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

Health is good. The problem has been on and off for about 6 years. After she takes the ice water the system is gone , l woud day immediatly

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

A little heartburn which she takes s daily med for

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/3/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Does she ever get it when exercising or generally exerting herself?

No but if she is pushed to do something fast it can trigger it but it is mostly when sleeping many niece a month or less
My wife is 66 and otherwise in good health. She informed me it's been going on for about 15 years. Her mother passed away suddenly at 65 and we went were not informed why and she informes me she is awake when it happens.

It sounds as though she is getting esophageal spasms versus costochondritis.

Both are incredibly benign but either way I don't think it's her heart that's the culprit.

To be safe she can get an exam done by her doctor.

Because it's not exertional and because it only happens at random and worse with certain triggers then I would say it's likely to be anything serious.

Please click on "Rating" when ready.

If you have further questions please post them here.

Please let me know if I can expand on this answer further.

Otherwise, please click on "Rating".