Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been told that I have a liver function test of 161 when…

Customer Question
Hi I've been told...

Hi I've been told that I have a liver function test of 161 when normal should be around 40 - I am diabetic, have been off meds for a while as they didn't change anything (regardless of diet changes). I have taken over the counter meds for pain relief for athritis of hands and feet so am hoping meds are the reason and if I find other pain relief liver function will return to normal

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No, just represcribed metaformin. Have taken solpadeine for pain relief and other over the counter meds. This can be on a weekly basis

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am overweight

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/3/2017
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

As such pain medications are often a cause of elevated liver enzymes and possibility of pain medication causing a elevated liver enzyme is indeed present in your case.

But in few cases hepatic manifestation of Metabolic syndrome(fatty liver) can present as elevated liver enzymes.

Since you are diabetic and also over weight it is essential that you should undergo a ultrasound of liver to rule out fatty liver as a possibility.

NAFLD(non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) is a common cause of elevated liver enzymes in asymptomatic people and is common in diabetic patients.

Follow low fat diet and avoid animal proteins.

Also you can try drinking coffee as it is helpful in such cases.

Blood test to rule out Hepatitis B And Hepatitis C.

HbsAg and HCV

I hope this helps