Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have greatly fluctuating blood pressure. Yesterday it was

118 over 78 and the...
I have greatly fluctuating blood pressure. Yesterday it was 118 over 78 and the day before it was 158 over 90. Its been even higher 180 over 100, before my heart doctor gave me a low dose of metoprolol. She, the doctor, gave me metroprolol after she did an ekg and I wore a heart monitor for two weeks.with a lot of extra beats. I also had one extra beat of heart for every normal three. Now that I am on the metroprolol, I do not have an extra heart beat....none. yeah! I feel like I got old all of a sudden. Sometimes I can't seem to walk with a proper gate. It's like I can't move my legs to walk forward. my arms and legs feel so heavy. I can will myself to walk normally most times but when I can't I feel embarrassed. I have this weird feeling on both sides of my belly button and just below my rib cage. ... and in the middle. I feels like burning...When I described how physically nervous nervous I felt at my heart docot, she ordered an adrenaline test. I need a heads up on what an adrenaline test could find tumors and if I would feel nervous or if people report feeling funny with tumors on their adrenal glands. I do not take anything but the Metoprolol. To recap, there is walking strange, there is flucuating high blood pressure, there is funny pain on both sides of my belly button just under the bottom of my ribs, nervous feeling sometimes. Dry mouth too.
10/3/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

so it sounds like you have several questions to address, is that correct?

1. The blood pressure issue
  2. The change in your gait/walking
  3. The pain under your ribs and belly button
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the extra beats of heart went away recently with the metroprolol so not an issue anymore. so yes, those three issues. . right. sometimes the feeling of nervousness like physical shoots of something like adrenaline pumping though me. sort of hyper feeling but no nervous thoughts to go with it that I am aware of. maybe subconscious.. I don't know why that it is happening.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What does this have to do with adrenals?

if you have something called a pheochromocytoma on the adrenal gland, that can explain a lot of your symptoms as far as the blood pressure issues and not feeling well.

here's some info about pheochromocytoma from the Mayo Clinic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thanks. That gives me a heads up. Would people who have that feel funny on both sides just under the lower part of the rib cage and have it tender to the touch when you press there? Or just one side. I feel both when you press.

its hard to say because the condition is fairly rare. I would think the pain in or under the ribs would be unrelated.

If the pain is only mild, I would watch for now. if not better in a week, you can make an appointment with your primary care doctor and they can evaluate it.

Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hmm. I just saw my primary but the heart doctor is testing me for the adrenal tumors this week because the blood pressure still fluctuates so wildly. I appreciate your input because whatever it is, there is an answer somewhere. 1/2 the problem is knowing what it is. thanks again Dr John. I can rest.

glad to be able to help you tonight.

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD