Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have some medical questions to ask on behalf of my dad who…

Customer Question
Hi doc,I have some medical...
Hi doc,I have some medical questions to ask on behalf of my dad who is 62 years old this year.For the past 3-5 years, whenever he starts to eat oysters or overly oily food, he tends to vomit and diarrhea the next day. Why is this so? We did brought him for a medical examinations, ct scan, mri but everything was alright.Recently, after an episode of vomiting and diarrhea (which he will always recover in 1 day) his throat will start to itch which resulted in his coughing the next day. And he felt that his stomach was a little bloated. Is there a link between this?What are the supplements that he can take minimize the frequency of such episodes?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
10/3/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

has he been tested for any food allergies?

Nope. But in the past he wasnt allergic to oysters

Food allergies can develop over time and if his symptoms tend to happen after certain foods especially with the itching throat, I would be suspicious of an allergy to shellfish / oysters.

What other foods does it occur with?

Not that i know of.The itching of throat only comes after the episode of vomiting and diarrhea. But it only happens recently only. In the past when episode occurs, he doesng have itching of throat

how many episodes of the vomiting and diarrhea has he had in the past month?

4 times a year?It is always when he eat too oily food or oyster releated food

ok, I would think he has an oyster/sheelfish allergy then

Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I see you have asked for another expert.

some patients can develop food sensitivities as they get older

excessive oily foods can sometimes be very difficult to digest

and too much oil that gets into the small bowel can cause irritation of the small bowel and loose stool and/or diarrhea

oysters can also irritate the small bowel as well.

it would be best for him to avoid these foods if they cause him a day of vomiting and diarrhea.

it doesn't sound like a typical food allergy

more like food sensitivity and food irritation of the small bowel

let me know if you have questions.

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation.Do you mean that excessive oily food can also cause vomiting? Not just diarrhea?Also he develop a cough right the day after his episode of vomiting and diarhhea. Why is this so? Is there a link between both of them? Something to do with the virus etc? Why do oysters causes such diarrhea? Does probiotics help?

yes, excessive oily foods can cause vomiting and diarrhea.

after vomiting, the throat and lungs can be irritated to cause cough.

oysters can irritate the bowels of some patients.

if this occurs for him, best for him just to avoid oysters.

he can try probitoics, but most likely it will not make much of a difference

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

When i let him take probiotics, his diarrhea occurs again after an hr of taking the pill. He had loose stool twice during the day and it stops. Why is this so?And given all these episode, his appetite sort of decrease quite a fair bit. Is this normal?

probiotics don't stop diarrhea.

he could have IBS or irritable bowel syndrome

or irritation from eating oily foods or oysters.

he should avoid these things.

he may have to keep a diary of foods which cause him diarrhea.

he can try taking Imodium or loperimide 2mg to see if this helps him stop having diarrhea.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Sorry i think you mistaken what i meant:1. Does eating probiotics at the initial stage causes some individual to have loose stool at the beginning?2. Day 1: he vomited and diarrhea because of consuming oyster and oily food. But had recovered during 1 day.
Day2: he is back to eating normal
Day3/4: he started to develop a cough which then resulted to a lost in appetite, meaning to say all his meals are decrease by half.Fo such decrease in appetite is it normal given his past few days of condition?

1. no, taking probiotics should not cause loose stools and would not cause vomiting.

2. I hope he doesn't smoke. coughing can be due to runny nose, his prior vomiting, smoking, acid reflux irritating this throat. more testing and evaluation is needed to find out why he is coughing.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician