Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My history is that back in 1978 I had a bladder suspension…

Customer Question
My history is that...

My history is that back in 1978 I had a bladder suspension surgery (including removal of my uterus). In the past few years I have had my gall bladder removed and prolapse surgery (including removal of my ovaries, etc.) involving the small intestine. A couple of months ago a doctor used a scope to look into my upper GI as I had been having some pain on my right side. (I was wondering if one of the clamps left in during my gall bladder surgery had maybe moved and was "stuck" somewhere. The doctor said he didn't see anything. After the arthroscopy I have had a couple of bouts of watery stools. When we evacuated to Indiana during Hurricane Irma I had to go to the doctor because I had problems with diarrhea the entire week and I felt I couldn't make the long drive home without something. The doctor gave me three days of Cipro and it helped within a few hours and I felt fine for the trip. At the time I wondered when the doctor only gave me the antibiotic for three days as I hoped it would be long enough to knock it out completely--assuming it was a bug. (I had thought at first it was only "traveler's" stomach.) This past Friday (Sept. 29th) I was really sick all day and was up all night with watery diarrhea. It was really excessive compared to what I've dealt with in the past. I felt like I did when I was getting shingles--all over hurting. I looked up the symptoms for shingles and I have several of them--aching, feeling like I have a fever when I don't have one, nausea, really bad stomach pain, and diarrhea. I've had shingles once and so that's why I thought it might be shingles--it feels comparable. I went to the doctor on Saturday and told him I thought I might be getting shingles again (though I did get the vaccine) and he told me to come back if I get a rash--which I don't have. He didn't give me anything to take. I had pretty bad nausea and diarrhea on Sunday also. Today I'm feeling somewhat better. So the question is, do I have the flu (I don't have a fever or cold symptoms), or shingles (I read that shingles can be internal so you won't get a rash), or should I still be concerned that something is wrong--a clamp that's moved? Or, is the diarrhea from the gall bladder removal? If so, will it be something I'll have to live with? Should I go to the doctor and ask for more Cipro? It really helped me before.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been in pain? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

I started feeling really bad on Friday. Just nausea. It's better today.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've always had trouble with my digestive tract. I've always had to be careful what I eat and if I even overexert I get problems. This "watery" problem is something new though.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

how old are you?

68

I suspect this is related to an acute infection

probably norovirus or traveler's diarrhea

this can make you feel sick all over and take some time to get back to normal

I would take a probiotic like culturelle

that will help

is this helpful?

Probiotics make my digestive problems worse, for some reason. Will it go away on it's own?

Yes, it should pass on its own

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for this question
I strive for 5 star service for all customers.
​if you have more questions, just reply :)