Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

GI answer. I have been having diarrea for two months. At…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having diarrea for two months. At first I thought I picked up a bacterial infection. It started in Wildwood, NJ after I was in a public pool. Had an urgency to rush to the bathroom. I thought this was odd as I had not eaten anything to upset my stomach and not eaten since the night before. This was late afternoon. After a week later, started having bout of diarrea. It got increasing worse over the weeks, 4 accidents at work... now wearing diapers. I went to my GI, he ran blood test, bacterail tests, stool test, all negative. I had low grade fevers for three week. He finally put me on cipro and flagyl (500 mg. each 2 to 3 times a day - 5 tablets each day for a week. Condition got better and not such an urgency to go to the bathroom. I finished the antibiotics a week ago and having diarrea again. Now my top of my feet are swollen along with ankles. Feel intense fatigue and fall asleep on a dime. I am due for a colonoscopy next step on Friday. Can not reach doctor about swelling. I hope I don't have heart issues due to low potassium or dehydration. Can you advise me what to do next? Doctor is not in until Thursday and Colonoscopy is due on Friday.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Tested stool, blood, antibodies, white blood cells...all negative

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't have history of heart disease but suffer from anxiety. Do feel sense of malaise and extreme exhaustion. Having intermetient chest pain from time to time, but that can be due to my being nervous about this condition. I take thyroid medication for low thyroid.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
10/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

o.k. feeling dizzy now.

What you are describing is not a heart issue, that would present differently. Instead it´s an imbalance of your salt-water pathways. With prolonged diarrhea you´ll lose potassium and with potassium loss there is Sodium loss. Then you drink more water which gets abosrbed and you get swelling.

What are you drinking and eating these days?

I have been drinking powerrade zero gatarade drink and mixing it water. I started eating a regular diet after the antibiotics but I see it is only enducing the problem more. I was eating rice, salmon, chicken, turkey, trying to stay away from diary, cheese, chocolate, etc.
Could my potassium levels be low? the electrolye drink has sodium
Maybe that is why I am bloated.
Can IBS set off top heavy swollen feet and ankles

Your potassium levels are most likely quite low along with your sodium based on what you´re describing.

I would start pedialyte even though it tastes terrible. I would switch to more fruits/vegetables and less rice and chicken.

I will go back to that diet today. Mainly concerned now about the swelling in my feet and ankles.
also exhausion. no matter how many hours I get too sleep, still very tired.

No IBS can´t cause any swelling in the limbs.
However you will be ruled out for IBD by your doctor through the colonscopy which can cause the many symptoms you have been having.

Based on what you have described your sodium and potassium are both likely quite low.
I recommend starting pedialyte and stopping and water or gatorade.

Will a colonscopy show if you have a bacterial bug? Will he have to conduct a biopsy?

Also, switch from rice and chicken to mostly fruits and vegetables.

Yes, a colonoscopy will show a bacterial infection. A biopsy would be needed if any anomaly is seen.

I was told to stay away from vegetables and juice. Eat yoguart and bananas .
Why would I have the swelling?

The swelling is due to a sodium and potassium imbalance.

With prolonged diarrhea you´ll lose potassium and with potassium loss there is Sodium loss. Then you drink more water which gets abosrbed and you get swelling.

Should I go to the ER or wait to see him on Friday? Do you think this is of urgency?

Agree that if you have diarrhe for the most part you should minimize veggies and fruits but once you start with the elctrolye imbalance you´re describing you will need to switch to those.

o.k. so what can I do to avoid the swelling. Is this a concern? Can I wait until Friday? Should I go to the ER?

I would switch your diet and I think you will feel a lot better. Going to the ER would be a bit too drastic at this time. I think you can safely wait another 24 hours.

I have to wait until Friday. Should I eat more bananas and yoguart?
Can having diarrea for two months make you exhausted?

I would cut back on the yogurt and bananas are a good idea.

Yes because it depletes your electrolytes as is happening with you which will make you feel weak and exhausted.

what is pedilyte? Drinking the water with the gatarade is not good now? I still don't understand what I need to do. I just don't want my potassium levels to drop to such a low I will end up in the hospital.

https://pedialyte.com/

No, drinking water with gatorade will decrease your potassium and sodium.

Here is a list of the things you need to do in order to improve your sodium and potassium levels as I mentioned already above:

• stop chicken and rice and yogurt
  • increase your fruit and vegetable consumption
  • start on pedialyte and stop any water or gatorade

Please let me know how I can clarify the above.

I was told not to eat fruit and vegetables because of the diarrea.
I have been eating salad which has not been bothering me from time to time and corn
Please do as you see fit. I can only make my recommendations here as a physician expert.
I was told to stay away from butter, oil, fried foods, gassy vegetables and fruits, fruit juices.
Agree that you should stay away from fatty foods which will add to the diarrhea.
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD