Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Im a 46 yr old afr-american female experiencing upper left…

Customer Question
Im a 46 yr...

Im a 46 yr old afr-american female experiencing upper left arm and outer shoulder pain for two wks apprx. not improving worsening also weakness and tingling radiating, with the pain , down lft arm one recent episode of dizzieness and persistent weakness in lft arm recently had slight pain in lft chest

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

Never and no but have found recent lumbar issues including ddd and osteo arth

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No recent gyn surgery but thats all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
10/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing there are a few symptoms which can cause this sort of problem. The first one is that you could be experiencing compression of the nerves in the neck or cervical region. This can be due to degenerative disc disease in the neck or even due to narrowing of the holes through which the nerves leave the spinal cord. The radiation of pain into the arm, weakness, tingling and even the chest pain can ALL indicate this is a cervical spine issue. this would be diagnosed on the basis of a simple xray of the cervical spine and also with the help of a MRI of the spine and a NCS/EMG test which looks at the nerves. The dizziness can also arise because of cervical spine issues and is known as cervicogenic dizziness. Now this can be treated with the help of TENS therapy which involves using electrical current to stimulate the nrves anccontrol the pain but the fact that you have dizziness means that there might even be compression on the spinal cord itself and that is why it is IMPERATIVE that you have this evaluated a soon as possible with a MRI. Other options can include steroid injections, physiotherapy or surgery in severe cases.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/