Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

We are a childcare center for infants and toddlers of teen…

Customer Question
We are a childcare...

We are a childcare center for infants and toddlers of teen mothers. Is Oragel with Benzocane safe for infants for teething pain? We are debating as a staff if this is safe or was there an article recently that it was not safe.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

No, we are not allowed to give this OTC medicine according to our licensing; but the moms bring it to have us call them out of class to give to their own child for teething pain. We offer cold teething rings which only help to a degree. We are debating encouraging mothers to use this medication.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

We communicate with the child's medical provider for issues that require a visit due to exclusion from care. We don't know if the medical provider is recommending this step for mouth pain. The type of medical care these mothers have is Medicaid State ssubsidy local health centers and the offices don't have 24 hour nurse lines for these questions. The teen moms aren't very forth coming with information unless we require it in their intake forms or if there's an issue that comes up in our daily health checks.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually the FDA recommends that any product which contains benzocaine should be AVOIDED in infants and young children. The warning is particularly strict for children under two years of age, the reason being that it can sometimes lead to a rare and oftyen fatal side effect which is known as methemoglobinemia. This disorder causes reduction in the transport of oxygen in the blood and it usually moves rapidly and results in the death of the baby. That is why it is recommended that bezocaine be avoided. Infact this effect can occur after the first use or even after several uses, and the onset can be within a few minutes to a few hours.

Here is the link to the FDA advisory on benzocaine containing products,

FDA advisory on benzocaine for children

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.