Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I read an article that said systolic blood pressure is

dangerous when it's at 200...
I read an article that said systolic blood pressure is dangerous when it's at 200 or higher. Therefore, does this mean that one doesn't have to worry about their systolic blood pressure as long as it's less than 200? Thank you.
10/2/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually what read was true, systolic blood pressure when above 200 can result in IMMEDIATE dangers to your health because at these pressures you are much more likely to experience catastrophic and immediate effects such as a heart attacks, strokes, bleeding in the brain, hypertensive comas (encephalopathy), kidney failure, rupture of the aorta (aortic dissection), fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema). HOWEVER this does NOT mean pressures above 140 and below 200 are NOT harmful to your health, they ARE harmful to you however the harm in that case is caused over a prolonged period of time rather than immediately. This means that if your pressure remains elevated above 140 for long periods of time, the heart will have to work harder to get the blood to the organs and also the organs would also get damaged because of the high pressures. In this situation you can develop slow kidney failure, damage to the heart, damage to the eyes, damage to the arteries in the limbs which leads to development of peripheral arterial disease.

So in short YES pressures above 200 are IMMEDIATELY dangerous for you however that does NOT mean anything below it is fine , it simply means anything below it would cause damage to your organs on a slower rate but it would nervetheless damage the organs.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

if before my blood pressure was very often 117/69 or 128/70 with medication, but now can be 107/83, 114/83, 122/78, 136/79, 142/78, 151/83, 167/86, or 172/80 with the same medication, (Out of 40 blood pressure readings, 14 had a systolic of 150 some, 160 some, or 170 some; actually the 172/80 was the only one) I should be okay PROVIDED THAT I immediately start a diet and exercise program and stick with it as a regular part of my life? (Before I did a lot of sitting because I had a lot of thinking to do) Thank you.
172/80 was the only reading with a systolic in the 170s. The other 13 were either 150 some or 160 some. Thank you.
The other 26 readings were normal.

YES you should be okay as long as you start with the interventions that you have described, usually 14 readings out of forty is a percentage of than 50% which means that this can be controlled with a good exercise regimen, weight loss and diet management program. Infact the first step should be to cut back on salt in your diet and also increae the intake of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. And readings in the 150s or 160s is not very concerning and it can be controlled effectively.

Do you have any more questions?

But from time to time I get headaches, lightheadedness, and I feel like my heart is racing. My feet are a little swollen too. I have trouble putting boots on and some of my shoes. However, my doctor tells me to stick with 320 mg of Diovan and 12.5 mg of hydrochlorathazide. He doesn't want to put me back on 25 mg of hydrochlorathazide. Thank you.

Then you should get a EKG, echocardiogram and also a stress test done. In addition a pro BNP done as well. But i would have you started on the higher dose of HCTZ because of the swelling in the feet but if you have electrolyte imbalances with the hydrochlorothiazine such as low potassium etc then you should stick with the lower dose and instead get another drug added to the regimen. But DO get the heart tests done as well as a 24 hour holter monitor of the heart.

Do you have any more questions?

I did get an EKG done last night and it was OK. Before, my EKGs were always coming out abnormal due to low potassium. I suppose it was normal last night since I started taking potassium pills (KLOR KON) the day before that EKG. The echocardiogram and stress test I had was in March 2017. Is that recent enough. I'm a 47 year old male, 5 feet 9 inches tall, and 330 pounds. Thank you.
Last night, the ER doctor discharged me with the EKG alone.

Then that means that your symptoms are due to the low potassium and in this situation it is not necessary to get a stress test and EKG repeated again. But your Blood pressure should be better controlled. If HCTZ is not an option then a calcium channel blocker like amlodipine or a combination agent such as valsartan/amlodipine can be used as well which can be more effective.

Do you have any more questions?

In March 2017, my echocardiogram and stress test were good. I don't know if the ER doctor discharged me with the EKG alone because they have checked my blood work many times before and they are always normal. Is this blood work what you mean by a pro BNP test? Thank you.

Yes that is what i meant and as i said, since your recent tests were normal there is no need to get them done again, i advised them when i did not know that you had them done recently.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali