Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

August 18, 2017 I was in the hospital because I had a heart…

Customer Question
Hi. August 18, 2017...

Hi. August 18, 2017 I was in the hospital because I had a heart attack and I had a stent put in.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Well Im now expericing pain in my shoulder blade again and tightness and in my chest. I went to the school nurse and she said my blood pressure and heart rate is good. Am I being paranoid or should I go to urgent care after school?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just the stent and I was told I have blockage in a small valve and they also found a non cancerous small tumor on my kidneys

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
10/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symotoms. Now from what you are describing the presence of pain in the shoulder blade can be an indication of heart disease IF your pain is in the left shoulder blade and is also accompanied by pain in the left shoulder or the arm or the jaw or you have some sweating or shortness of breath. If these symptoms or any one of these symptoms are present then you should get this evaluated with a simple EKG on your way back from school in urgent care or the ER. Infact if you have left shoulder pain or shoulder blade pain which is worsening OR you have sweating/shortness of breath then you should proceed to the ER. Lastly chest tightness which is persistent in your case is an indication to get an EKG done regardless of the blood pressure and heart rate.

If the pain is in the right shoulder blade or is mild in nature then you can simply hydrate yourself and use electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade and also use OTC anti inflammatory medications like OTC ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily which should be able to control the problem.

Lastly if the above measures dont help with the pain (even if it is in the right shoulder blade) then you should proceed to the ER again.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I made a mistake....the pain isn't in my right shoulder blade....its in the LEFT SHOULDER BLADE
I CANT CALL, IM AT SCHOOL. ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS IF IM BEING PARANOID

Then proceed to the ER, i would err on the side of caution and get an EKG done rather than miss a heart issue. Even though your heart rate and BP are fine i would still advise a EKG done. I DID NOT SEND A PHONE CALL REQUEST, that is an automated site response, we can continue to talk here.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. I FEEL LIKE IM BEING PARANOID. I SEEM TO WORRY ABOUT ANY SIGN. IM JUST MORE CONCERNED BECAUSE OF THE PAIN IN MY SHOULDER BLADE AND TIGHTNESS IN MY CHEST.

that pain in the left shoulder blade in your case SHOULD be seen in the ER or urgent care for heart disease. An EKG is certainly indicated here and you are not being paranoid. YOU SHOULD get this evaluated.

But You ARE NOT being paranoid, DO get this evaluated in urgent care or the ER.

Do you have any more questions?

I WENT TO THE ER BEFORE AND THATS WHEN THEY FOUND EVERYTHING IN AUGUST. I THINK ILL GO BACK OVER TO THE ER AFTER SCHOOL (IM A TEACHER). I JUST DONT WANT TO WASTE ANYONES TIME WITH BEING PARANOID.

You are not being paranoid, chest tightness and pain should be investigated especially in light of your past history of heart disease. You are NOT wasting anyones time, i can bet they will run an EKG and possibly even run a set of cardiac enzymes to completely make sure if you have heart disease or not.

. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Anything else i can help you with?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.