Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a blood clot in my lungs can i have knee replacement…

Customer Question
I have a blood...

I have a blood clot in my lungs can i have knee replacement surgery i already have had it replaced before

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I want to know if i can still have knee surgery when i have an exsiting blood clot i have an appointment Nov 21

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 10 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

How long have you had the clot in your lungs and how is it being treated?

i was on a blood thinner and i am not taking anything now because of up coming surgrey i have been off of the blood thinner for a couple of months because of other concerns that were not important i am not in any pain from the clot but my knee is giving me problems

OK

Then I see no reason why you can't safely have your knee replacement in November.

Please let me know if you need any more information

i have been on a blood thinner because of clots in the past i have been and will be on a blood thinner the rest of my life i am due to have my knee replaced for the second time in five years as this one has come loose i think when i go to have this surgrey the ninth of october i can be treated sooner because of being in the hosipatal as this other doctor is waiting unitil november 21to have me come in to see him do you agree

Sorry--didn't quite understand--agree with what?

when i go to have knee surgery i will be in the hospital so i can be treated for a blood clot after surgery

Oh--OK

Yes--definitely and there should be no problem with doing that

my doctor got a hold of me and his reply was he stopped me from having surgery he put it off until this blood clot is gone to say the least i am not happy about it

I can understand your frustration

But what more information may I give you here?

i do not mind paying you half what i owe you are worth i spent but my doctor is calling the shots and i can not over ride him

I understand

It may take a few more months for your body to get rid of the clot--the blood thinner you were on doesn't dissolve it.

But at least you should be able to get your surgery in a little more than say three months