Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have burning pain feeling on the upper part of my left ear…

Customer Question
I have burning pain...

I have burning pain feeling on the upper part of my left ear and is even warm to touch

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?

No no thing that would make me feel like I am sick or have an infection

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
10/2/2017
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry that you are experiencing pain in your left ear. The causes of external ear pain could be:

Irritation from sleeping/rubbing (pillow)

Early sign of Herpes Zoster (Shingles)

Insect bite/sting

May I assume that there is also redness. If so, try to see if there is any evidence of insect stinger in your ear and remove it if present. Next apply over the counter Benadryl cream. If this is from irritation (from bedding) then it should go away in a few hours by itself. If the beginning of Shingles, then you will develop a rash in the area within 10 days. Consider Shingles if you have previously had chickenpox. You can begin an over the counter NSAID such as Aleve or Ibuprofen to help and see your PCP.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

You have opened a second question instead of replying to your initial question.

Since no redness or signs of insect sting and no rash, the most likely cause is either irritation from bedding or an allergic response. May I suggest you try the Benadryl cream and change your pillowcase (all cotton or silk). If this does not resolve in 3-5 days then a visit to your PCP for evaluation.

Any additional questions, thoughts?