Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 44yr old male and in the last two weeks i have been…

Customer Question
Hi there. I am...

Hi there. I am a 44yr old male and in the last two weeks i have been experiencing momentary electric pulses through my body. They last less than a second but are becoming more frequent. I have no idea what it is but it doesn't feel right

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No I havent. No meds

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I was taking Lovan but havent in a month or so. No allergies to meds

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing come to mind

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually there are a few conditions which can cause these sort of impulses through out the body. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed a disorder like spinal cord issue, conditions like MS can cause an electric shock like sensation through out the body if you try to touch your chin to your chest, this is known as lhermitte sign. It would be more likely if you also had occasional tingling and numbness in the limbs, weakness or blurring of vision. In this case you should get evaluated witrh the help of a spinal MRI and also with a brain MRI.

Another cause can be arachnoiditis which is inflammation of the lining of the spinal cord. This would be diagnosed on the same MRI of the spinal cord as well.

Now apart from neurological causes, heart issues can also cause this problem as well. the commonest cause of this can be an abnormal rhythm of the heart. This would cause palpitations, shortness of breath, sweating, chest pain and the electrical pulses that you feel. This is known as an arrhythmia. The diagnosis is made with the help of a EKG and also with the help of a 24 hour holter monitor which looks at the heart for a 24 hours.

If the above causes are ruled out then we can consider other issues including endocrine problems like thyroid disorders or adrenal insuffieciency but at the moment i would suggest that you have your doctor look into the above possibilities.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Doctor: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Do you have any additional questions?

Do you have any more questions?