Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If you have genital herpes 1 can you get genital herpes 2?

Customer Question
If you have genital...

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No medications.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Just wondering because I have had genital herpes 1 for 15 yrs. 1 outbreak 15 yrs. ago until now.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have been sleeping with someone that I have had a long term monogamous relationship withfor 7 years. We always use condoms but he rubbed up against my genitals several times without a condom about two weeks ago. A week ago I had some broken skin in the rectum area.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Yes, if you have genital herpes from HSV1, it is possible to get genital herpes from HSV2. HSV1 usually causes oral herpes, but when it causes genital herpes, the individual can still get genital herpes from HSV2.

The antibodies to HSV1 helps slightly, in that the subsequent infection by HSV2 tends to be less severe, but the antibodies to HSV1 do not prevent an infection by HSV2.

In your case, if you are HSV1 positive and HSV2 negative and your partner is HSV2 positive, then you could have gotten infected by this encounter. It is also important to note that condoms only offer partial protection against transmission of genital herpes.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

He had no visual lesions when we had intercourse. He also was married for 10 yrs. and has two children and his then wife has no symptoms of hsv2 neither has he he has said. We do not know if he has hsv2 or not.
All I know is that I have not had an outbreak in 15 yrs. that I know of and a week ago this Sunday I was feeling a little run down and I started menstrating on Sat. and on Sunday I noticed open skin like Area on my anus and on my perinium. Never any blisters or ulcers. I have been having issues with my stomach which has caused a lot of wiping in this area, so that could be from the torn skin.
I am just concerned because I have not had any noticeable breakouts all these 15 yrs. till now.

If he has never had any symptoms of HSV2 and his wife of 10 years also has never had any symptoms, then that is very reassuring, but it does not prove that he is not infected.

When blood tests to look for the prevalence of HSV2 antibodies are done in a general population, about half of the people that are found to be HSV2 positive do not remember ever having had any worrisome symptoms.

And studies that look at the likelihood of transmission of genital herpes in couples in which only one person is infected shows that only about 5% of partners get infected if they only have sex on days on which there are no symptoms. So, the fact that a partner of 10 years did not get infected does not prove that there was no infection.

In your case, though, the fact that it never formed any blisters or ulcers would suggest that it is more likely that this is not genital herpes (of either type). I would also note that it is normal that someone with genital HSV1 infections will not have herpes very much. When HSV1 causes a genital infection, the original infection is similar to an HSV2 genital infection. But the vast majority of people with genital HSV1 infections will have a limited number of episodes, usually a primary infection and maybe one recurrence. The vast majority do not have multiple recurrences over years, as is typically seen in someone with an HSV2 genital infection.

Is there any further information that would be helpful on this question?