Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am up to 1 mg of clonazepam for sleep. I mix 75 mg of

Customer Question
I am up to...

I am up to 1 mg of clonazepam for sleep. I mix 75 mg of amitriptyline with it. I used to be on trazodone 200 mg, actually for 15 years, and it stopped. Now I find the clonazepam and the amitriptyline are making me have an upset stomach. I'm thinking it's the amitriptyline that is doing that. Would low-dose trazodone be a better mixture for sleep? I do like the clonazepam for sleep. It seems to work. I seemed to have less side effects with the 50 mg, but now I am up to 100 mg.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I am not allergic to any medications as far as I know. I only take the clonazepam and amitriptyline in the evening for sleep.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have tinnitus right now. Very annoying. It comes and goes. I used to have a panic disorder about 20 years ago. I do have more anxiety than the average person. I have always have insomnia, it seems like, and trazodone in the past helped it and now clonazepam helps it. After 15 years of trazodone, it seemed to have lost its effectiveness.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Amitriptyline is known to cause an upset stomach and you should avoid combining it with clonazepam. You can certainly consider a low dose of trazodone and clonazepam combination to increase the sedation. With this combination, you will have an effective treatment for your insomnia, and can also avoid the side effects of amitriptyline.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a

mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dear customer,
Please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & the

effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to

you.
Thank you!