Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Testosterone undecanoate and ACNE: I was told by my

urologist that at my age...
testosterone undecanoate and ACNE: I was told by my urologist that at my age 938) I should try taking 1 shot of testosterone undecanoate once or twice a year... It's been 2.5 weeks and I seem to have ACNE on face and scalp... face is mild but scalp is a bit more aggressive... do i just treat this with doxycycline and then after 4 months my skin will go back to normal? or what?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

how old are you? it says 938 in your post

38 make
38 male

ok. so yes, testosterone replacement can increase acne for a short period of time.

You can either use topical cleansers, benzoyl peroxide or if your doctor has already prescribed the doxycycline, you can use the doxycycline for 1 month and then stop and see if that helps your acne.

Does that answer your question?

the acne stays active during the whole effect of the testosterone injection? Or just a few weeks in the beginning?

Usually the acne should occur for the first month or so, but with your formulation of testosterone, you might notice the acne last a little longer.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

does that make sense?

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD