Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had encephalitis since 2006 and am just curious when…

Customer Question
I have had encephalitis...

I have had encephalitis since 2006 and am just curious when it will leave my system. My parents are convinced that they after effects stay with you, so I am completely thrown off here.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Oh yes, definitely, and since I have no memory at all I cannot remember the medications

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

One second

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Depakote and keppra, does that sound right?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
10/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the virus which caused the Encephalitis would have left your system within one to two months after you recovered. The effects that you are experiencing are not due to the causative agent of Encephalitis but rather it can be due to a syndrome known as post encephalitic syndrome. This can cause behavior changes, memory issues, emotional issues, cognitive decline among other symptoms. The symptoms depend on the region of the brain which was affected and usually they are persistent in nature. However many patients can recover after some time, usually the effects of this syndrome are apparent within the first year after the infection and if you don't develop any symptoms after the first year then you would not develop any problems later on.
So if your memory has declined after the first year or rather in the last couple of years then it is not likely to be due to the Encephalitis that you had in 2006. In that case it can be due to a new disorder depending on your age and other neurological findings. I would suggest a repeat mri of the brain which would tell us what the exact situation of the brain is right now and whether you have mri findings consistent with post encephalitic syndrome or not.
But to answer your question, your parents are right to an extent, effects of Encephalitis can last for years depending on the area of the brain involved and the severity of the initial infection.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.