Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Husband is 91 years old and has a slow heart. Had 2 spells…

Customer Question
Husband is 91 years...

Husband is 91 years old and has a slow heart. Had 2 spells of unresponsiveness resulting in hospital care. Dr said pacemaker would probably be the answere but it's husbands decision. He can not understand, is confused and I am going to have to make decision. I don't know the answer

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Father and brother had heart problems. Joe has a foley cath and at present in hospital for urinary infection.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He's on blood thinner and 2 heart medicines and baby asprin.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/1/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 10 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

The recommendations for a pacemaker are such that not having one is life threatening, as you have seen.

Pacemakers are easy procedures, relatively speaking.

They are not major surgery, they are minor, minor surgery.

People who need pacemakers suffer an earlier death if they do not get them.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.