Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a sharp pain on the left foot, in the outside of the…

Customer Question
I have a sharp...

I have a sharp pain on the left foot, in the outside of the sole. To what health condition could that be related to?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It comes and goes. It does not seem to be related to shoe or standing too much problem. I was wondering if it could be explained from a reflexology perspective.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a bad cough that doesn't go away permanently. I think I am over it, then it returns. I have phlegm. That's about it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually pain in this region can be due to a number of causes. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed compression of one of the nerves in the area which is causing the pain. it can cause pain which is sharp and stabbing in nature. This can be diagnosed with the help of a NCS/EMG test. The teratment can be with the help of lyrica or neurontin.

Another cause of this could be related to the tendons of the foot. If the tendons are inflamed then it can lead to pain in this region of teh foot. The diagnosis can be made with the help of a simple xray and also with the help of a MRI of the foot. The treatment can be with anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and also with the use of steroids.

I would suggest that you start using OTC ibuprofen at a dose of 400 mg thrice daily and also apply OTC capsiacin gel.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Thank you for the response. However, I do not like the website which I believe is tricky. I was looking for some idea about the problem, I wasn't looking to pay to a person who cannot see my foot. I am very unhappy about this. I don't think people what have not been told before the pose the question that they should pay should have to do that.

This is a site where we can give your medical information and advice regarding your issues but we cannot examine you for obvious reasons, as it is impossible to do that over the internet.

Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 10 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I see the other expert has opted out

how old are you?

are you male or female?

what is your height and weight?

how long has this pain been going on in the foot?