Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have pain in my leg from my foot to above my knee. I am…

Customer Question
I have pain in...

I have pain in my leg from my foot to above my knee. I am 69 years old and diabetic, This has been going on since Friday

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?

No redness or swelling. it is worse when sitting or laying

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just diabetic. not good control my leg also itches

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
10/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. There are a few conditions which can cause this sort of oain in the leg. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed peripheral arterial disease which is a condition in which there is narrowing of the arteries of the legs. This leads to pain in the leg, numbness, tingling and even swelling or change of color in severe cases. This would be diagnosed on a simple doppler ultrasound of the legs. Once diagnosed it can be treated with the help of medications like clopidogrel or cilastozol and in severe cases stents can be inserted.

Another cause of this could be neuropathy. This is a condition in which there is damage to the nerves of the limbs. This can cause pain, tingling, numbness as well changes in temperature. this would be diagnosed with the help of a simple NCS/EMG test which would be diagnostic. The treatment would be with medications like lyrica or neurontin.

Vitamin b12, folate supplements would be helpful here as would omega 3 fatty acids, alpha lipoic acid and Acetyl - L carnitine. For now also use OTC ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily as well along OTC tylenol at a dose of 1 g thrice daily.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor