Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had pain under my right ribs since may. now when I…

Customer Question
I have had pain...

I have had pain under my right ribs since may. now when I lay down on my side I get up it is hard to breath It last about three seconds. sometimes I have to hold my side

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

When I lay on my side and try to get up it is a blunt and awful pain

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My doctor told me to take probiotic one tell me its sore muscles I feel they don't know

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
10/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. From what you are describing there can be a couple of conditions which can cause this sort of pain. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have a compressed or trapped nerve in the region of the ribs or just underneath the ribs. This would cause pain in certain positions and would be sharp or stabbing in nature. It can be intermittent in nature. The diagnosis would be made with the help of a simple NCS/EMG test . The treatment can be with medications like lyrica or neurontin and even with steroid injections.

Another cause of this could be chronic costochondritis which is inflammation of the cartilages of the ribs. This would be diagnosed with the help of a clinical examination and then can be treated with steroids and anti inflammatory medications.

I would suggest that you do have this evaluated for the above possibilities.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor