Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it safe to give exogenous ketones to children? My

Customer Question
Is it safe to...

Is it safe to give exogenous ketones to children?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My grandchildren are being given ketone suppliments. Are they safe for children who are healthy, no medical problems.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
10/1/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

why are they being given the exogenous ketones?

Because their mother sells the product. They have no medical problems whatsoever.

How old are the children?
Do you know the name of the product?

Ketogenic diets (high-fat, low-carb, low/mod-protein) have been used for about 100 years in pediatrics as a treatment for children with intractable seizures. The diet became less popular for seizure treatment when anti-seizure medications first became available in the 1940s.

There is some concern that long-term ketogenic diets in children may cause some reduction in growth and thin bones due to excess calcium being excreted from the body while on the diet, but this would be after being on the diet for years.

Exogenous ketone products are used now to help induce the ketosis of a ketogenic diet.
Assuming that the children are given a weight/age-appropriate dose, I am not aware of any medical concerns other that the ones I listed previously with the ketogenic diet.

Does that answer your question?