Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been dating my boyfriend since August of 2016, we…

Customer Question
I have been dating...

I have been dating my boyfriend since August of 2016, we have been having unprotected sex since September of 2016. I went to the Dr Monday and u have trichomoniasis, has he cheated on me recently or could he have had it this whole time?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

I went to the Dr and I'm in meds, I just need to know if he's cheated or had it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 10 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Trichomonas doesn't lie dormant in a man once he contracts it--the symptoms of the infection usually occur within two weeks

It's possible that he already had the infection before the two of you got together and just always ignored any symptoms, but it's much more likely that he was recently infected from someone else

Plase let me know if you need any more information

Could I have had this the whole time too with the symptoms coming and going. This is the first time I’ve been to the dr and gotten tested for anything

Actually it can lie dormant in women for months to even years and become symptomatic from time to time