Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter is 7. She has had mono twice in the past two…

Customer Question
My daughter is 7...

My daughter is 7. She has had mono twice in the past two years. She is having severe stomach pains again, headaches and the past few months she thinks we all hate her and wish she was never born. Does mono cause this too?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Episodic. yes to nausea

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am sending her to a therapist (twice now) thinking the depressive behavior is unrelated but online research shows it may be related.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, post mono depression is real however, it usually happens years after infectious mononucleosis.

Being ill itself is a major cause of depression specially in the younger ones. And it is not unusual for a girl her age to be depressed when she is ill.

Seeing a therapist is the right thing to do and I would suggest that you have her continue seeing her therapist. Even if the depression is related to mononucleosis, she needs therapy and the best course of action will be to see a pediatric psychiatrist for her.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.