Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife blood pressure when laying down will some times go…

Customer Question
My wife blood pressure...

My wife blood pressure when laying down will some times go as high as 190 when she stands it will go as low as 70 when she sits it will be around 130-140 and when she eats she can faint also when she sits for a peroid of time she will faint while in achair

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

My wife is 80 years and some times she does have pain in her stomach about 5 years ago she had a twisted bowel and was operate on .

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Im not sure

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well the commonest cause of this postural drop ( called orthostatic hypotension) at her age is progressive stiffening of blood vessels that makes it more difficult for blood vessels to adapt quickly when necessary.

She actually has a high blood pressure when lying flat so prescribing her anything to help with her low BP on standing may further worsen her blood pressure in bed. So in her case i would like her touse compression stockings. These are specially designed to pump blood back to heart as you rise from lying or sitting position thus helping the heart maintain a stable blood pressure, preventing a sudden drop.

For her high lying blood pressure she should either take a thiazide diuretic or calcium channel blocker , but then again she needs to monitor her blood pressure drop on rising . Compression stockings should help it though. But if it still drops then fludrocortisone is an option.

Hope it was helpful.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regards.

Please let me know if you have any further queries

Dear customer its to request you to please leave a positive rating for my service as that will ensure i get my due share for my work.

Thanking in anticipation.

Kind regards