Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a thumb nail that has risen up and seems to not be…

Customer Question
I have a thumb...

I have a thumb nail that has risen up and seems to not be connected to the nail bed. I had a big toe nail that did the same thing a few years ago. The podiatrist(Spelling?) took care of that with no problems. I don't want to go to a foot doctor for my finger nails. Is there a specialist for this?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I am taking lots of meds for blood pressure, afib, etc. My regular doctor said nothing could get it reattached; my skin doctor said to soak it in Listerine for the pain. The pain goes away but the nail is rising slowly.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I have a long list of daily meds. Not allergic to anything to my knowledge.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I will give a brief history: 2 breast cancers, heart attack, light stroke, I had back surgery in February, a heart surgery for the afib 2 years ago. I have to have a phlebotomy periodically due to a blood disease. I'm sure there are others, just can't remember everything right now!

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/30/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 10 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

OK

Yes.

The specialist would be a dermatologist.

Dermatology covers hair, skin and nails.

Now, depending on any underlying problem, it would be someone else you need to see. For example, if hypothyrodism, or iron deficiency, an internal medicine doctor would be the starting place.

However, if simply a nail problem [fungus] then dermatology.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.